This is the only chicken and rice casserole I've made for the past 25 years. A friend at the small church in Marshallberg NC brought it to a Sunday potluck and I asked her for the recipe.
INGREDIENTS
3 cups (more or less) cooked chicken
1 cup (or more) cooked rice
1 cup chopped celery (boiled in chicken broth and drained)
2 T. chopped onion
1 pkg slivered or sliced almonds, uncooked
1 small can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
2 cans cream of chicken soup (can also use mushroom soup)
1 cup mayonnaise
Mix all ingredients together. Add salt and pepper. Spoon into buttered baking dish. Cover lightly with Pepperidge Farm Stuffing (regular) mix. I just use bread crumbs and add a few herbs, since I can't get stuffing mix here!
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
It's easy to make a day in advance and keep it in the fridge overnight or else freeze it for several days/weeks until needed.
What do you use instead of cans of soup?
ReplyDeleteGood question, since I can't use a can of soup over here! I use a packet of dry soup which is to make the same amount as a can would be, but add only half the water. Mix and cook it before adding to the rice and chicken mixture.
Delete